A vasectomy reversal is a microsurgical procedure that reconnects the vas deferens where it was interrupted by a vasectomy. Although vasectomy has historically been considered a permanent sterilization procedure, current advances in microsurgery over the past 15 years have greatly improved the success rate of vasectomy reversal.
The common reasons for vasectomy reversal are a new relationship or remarriage following a divorce or having a change of heart and a desire for more children. There are occasional unfortunate individuals who have lost their children and want to have more children.
Easy Vasectomy Reversal™ procedure is performed in the One Stop Medical Center on a come-and-go basis. The actual operating time for a vasectomy reversal procedure can range from 2 to 2.5 hours, depending on its complexity. A local anesthetic is used. The patient returns home or to a hotel room after the vasectomy reversal procedure, but Dr. Shu requests that out-of-town patients stay in the Twin Cities area for at least one day following the vasectomy reversal procedure before returning home.
A preoperative consultation is an important step in planning on vasectomy reversal. Thanks to the Internet, the patients can get all information on vasectomy reversal from a well-designed high quality website.
The following topics related to vasectomy reversal are addresses in our website and will be discussed in a preoperative vasectomy reversal consultation.
- Review the patient’s medical history, vasectomy history, and his wife or partner’s fertility
- Review the anatomy and physiology related to vasectomy reversal
- Discuss the relationship between years of vasectomy with the success rate and other factors affecting the success rate, discuss about the possibility of late failure
- Discuss the rationale and indications to choose V-V and V-E
- Discuss the concepts of sperm recovery rate and pregnancy rate, and not all successful reversal patients will cause pregnant
- Discuss the benefits, risks, complications and alternatives
- Inform the cost and the payment options
- Review the pre and post care instructions
- Answered all questions the patients have